It’s no accident that the key word in “essential oils” is essential. These small, unassuming bottles can be used for every fundamental necessity in life: physical wellbeing, cleaning, beauty, emotional health, even outdoor safety. But with so many varieties and options, it can be overwhelming to decide where to start in your quest to add essential oils to your life.
Whether you’re just hearing about essential oils for the first time and feel curious, or you’ve always read about their incredible potential uses and felt hesitate to dive in, we are here to help you get started.
Tip #1: Start Small
You’ll have plenty of time to learn all about the rare, hard-to-pronounce oils (I’m talking to you, Vetiver!), so start simple with the Main Five. These five essential oils are most likely to pop up in a recipe or oil guide because they have such a crazy abundance of uses (and they smell divine, which doesn’t hurt either!)
- Lavender – Calm, Relaxed, Relieved Bliss
- Lemon – The Cleaning Queen!
- Peppermint – Farewell to Pain
- Eucalyptus – The Anti-Everything (Antibacterial, Antifungal, Anti-inflammatory…)
- Tea Tree (Melaleuca) – First Aid For Your Skin
Tip #2: Choose Your Goals
There’s roughly a zillion or so purposes for essential oils, so picking one or two uses will help you get started without feeling the pressure to solve the health concerns of your entire family by dinner time. You could spend hours browsing the possibilities- it’s truly amazing what these oils are capable of. Here are my suggestions for useful yet simple essential oil applications that will help you on your way to becoming a professional!
- For a Better Night’s Sleep: Blend 1 drop Lavender with a tablespoon of carrier oil (see below for more on carrier oil), and apply to back of neck or bottom of need before bed.
- For a Sanitized Home: Mix a few drops of Lemon in a bowl of water and soak a washcloth in the blend overnight. Wipe down kitchen and bathroom surfaces to disinfect.
- For a Clear, Acne-Free Face: Blend Tea Tree oil with a few teaspoons of Aloe Vera gel and apply directly to pimples.
Tip #3: Find a Carrier Oil
When I first delved into the essential oil world myself, the term “carrier oil” completely baffled me. I was convinced I kept hearing people wrong. Care Oil? Karay Oil? Huh!?
But now it all makes sense. A carrier oil is any liquid oil that can carry and dilute the essential oils since they are far too concentrated and potent to apply directly to the skin.
If you’re anxious to get started but have nothing except basic olive oil in your cabinet, it can work but will be a bit greasy. There’s a whole secret world of specialty oils out there that pair perfectly with essential oils. Try one of the top three below. You’ll simply mix some of the carrier oil with a few drops of your chosen essential oil(s) and voila! Use for whatever purpose you need.
- Sweet Almond Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Avocado Oil
Tip #4: Pick a Diffuser You Can’t Live Without
Aromatherapy- utilizing scents to promote health of the body, mind, and spirit. You definitely can’t get that from a candle (as much as some of us may love our autumn scented candles in October!). Diffusers disperse your chosen essential oils through your home so that they are subtly a part of every breath you take. This means that your body is constantly benefiting, in a totally natural and chemical-free way, all of the healing properties of the essential oils while the air in your home is purified. How does it get better than that?
A simple Google Shopping search for diffusers will leave you thinking it’d be an easier to decision to choose a new car, so here’s a way to simplify it.
- Use a nebulizing or an ultrasonic (water vapor) diffuser so that high temperatures don’t ruin the beneficial applications of the essential oil.
- Most diffusers are meant for home or office environments, but some smaller types for cars do exist if you’re always on the move.
- Try one diffuser oil combination at a time to decide what you like. For example, 2 drops wild orange and 2 drops peppermint, plus any water needed for the diffuser, will increase alertness and give you a quick pick-me-up.
As you continue to experiment, your essential oil repertoire will steadily grow and you’ll discover just how powerful essential oils can be to health, wellness, and beauty.